Nebojsa Birth Story

8:18 PM

I woke up in the night thinking that I need to write this down before I forget!

For several weeks I had been having contractions, some that even woke me up in the middle of the night. I was actually afraid that I would go into labor before the magic 37 weeks and have to go to the hospital. So then, when 37 weeks arrived on Thanksgiving I got SUPER impatient to get that baby out. I had predicted months ago that the baby would arrive November 30th. So every day after that I was a little frustrated that he was still inside me! (Even though my due date wasn't until November 15th)

At 4am on Sunday, December 4th I woke up to pee and then was up for a while because I kept having contractions. But this was nothing new so I didn't pay much attention to it. I think eventually I was able to go back to sleep.

The kids woke up, and I just laid on the couch reading my scriptures while those stinking contractions kept getting my hopes up. But I knew they'd go away. Meanwhile the big boys decorated the tree that we had bought the night before. They were so excited with their beautiful creation! It wasn't exactly how my OCD self would have done it, but they were so happy that I couldn't tell them to change it. We also read our Christmas book for the day (we are opening one each day before Christmas).



The contractions did go away, I didn't have any for a few hours. We got ready for church and headed out. During Sacrament meeting I had a few decent contractions and my belly was really sensitive. All the kids crawling on me and touching me made me crazy, so I left for the last part of the meeting. We went to primary, where we teach the 4 and 5 year olds. I had a few contractions that hour, and felt really restless sitting. The second hour of primary I had my first bigger contraction where I had to stop talking to the kids and let Ilija take over. I also kept having to walk around. That is when Ilija figured it out. He said "I know that look on your face." I really didn't want to admit that this could be labor since I'd had my hopes dashed so many times. I just kept on with life. But that last 30 minutes of church was really hard!

1:45 PM When I got home I went to drink water and lay down. The contractions just kept coming. I ate some food, made some raspberry leaf tea and laid down again. They were easy contractions but they were still there.

3:00 PM Since it had been a few hours of consistent contractions I decided this must be time and I texted the midwife. I also told my mom, husband and kids one at a time.

5:00 PM Within 2 hours the midwife was there, the contractions were closer and I was having to stand and breath through them. I snapped this picture to say "goodbye belly!" I was thrilled to be done with pregnancy! Ilija just kept saying "I'm so nervous." I had been in real, active labor about an hour.



For the next about 1.5 hours the contractions got stronger, and closer and harder. Ilija and Gina (the midwife assistant were having to squeeze my hips through each contraction to help with the back labor. We also figured out that if Ilija squeezed my hips and pressed his head into my low back it helped even more. So, we started doing that each contraction. That was new! And funny looking. I like to stand for contractions so that he can do counter pressure, but also because I feel like it helps labor to go faster. Gravity? It might be all in my head, but whatever I can do to make it go faster I try to do, even if it hurts more. The frustrating thing was that standing like that is really hard on my veins and my foot fills with blood. (Even though I have on my compression hose.) So, in between every contraction I would have to sit and put my foot up. Eventually it got to where I couldn't sit because the contractions came too quickly so I would have to walk between contractions to get the blood moving back up my leg. That was really irritating.



6:30 ish Finally it got to where my contractions were coming one on top of the other and I really had to breath/moan to get through them. I could also feel the baby moving down. I knew I must be in transition. But I didn't want to get into the tub until I felt like I needed to bear down. I only had 1 transition contraction with Malina before I felt that urge, so by the time I'd had several I was getting kind of impatient waiting for that feeling! I think around 6:30 I had that feeling so I got into my bathtub. [ I was planning on using a birth tub like all my other home births, but we couldn't find an attachment for our hose/faucet so we couldn't fill the tub. I thought about birthing somewhere else besides water, and even made a bed on the floor of the bathroom, but Ilija convinced me to stick with the water since I'm comfortable there.]


In the tub I had a few really good contractions that were hard! And then I felt the need to bear down and did a few times before I felt that pop of the membranes rupturing. Once the water broke I think I pushed a few times and he was crowning. A few more pushes (which are kind of involuntary since they come with contractions and happen all on their own. It isn't like in the movies "push! push! push!") and out he came.

7:01 He is delivered! The midwife takes the cord from around his neck and helps me bring him to my chest. Wow what a feeling of relief when he is finally out. I always forget how NOT fun it is to push out a baby. But, it is only a few minutes. I can do anything for a few minutes. I look down and meet my baby for the first time. He cries and my heart is so so happy.



I get out of the tub as quickly as possible, deliver the placenta in bed that is covered in Chux pads, and then Ilija cuts the cord once it stops pulsing. As soon as the mess on my bed is cleaned up Ilija goes to get the moms and the kids.





What a tender moment to introduce them all to the newest member of our family. The veil is so thin when a baby is born. There really is nothing like that feeling. I am so glad my kids could be there quickly to experience it. 

The little ones wanted to hold the baby really quickly, so they did.




Then the midwife did all the newborn checking to make sure everything was good with him (oxygen, heart tones, breathing, weighing, reflexes, etc.) while I watched and had all those terrible after birth contractions. They are horrible! He latched on pretty quickly after that and nursed very well. We did it!



Welcome to the world precious little man! You are much loved and much anticipated. We are so grateful to have you as part of our family.



I am doing well. The recovery physically has been very good. I have overdone it once or twice, but I just go back to bed. I have wonderful and supportive people around me. Especially Malina, who really thinks he is her baby and tries to "help" me with everything and many times a day says "nee hol 'im" followed by "so cute."


If you like birth stories here are the other ones I wrote: 




I really can't imagine birthing any other way now, but it was fun for me to read my thoughts after I had my first home birth. Many people wonder why I would do it...so here are some of my thoughts.

But basically it comes down to my comfort level. I don't like hospitals. Also, science helps. Studies show that maternal/fetal outcomes are the same at home (actually better for second or more babies) as at the hospital, and the apgar scores, lacerations and intervention rates are better at home. Here is an example of one of the MANY studies. 














You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!