Yes on Proposition 8

9:51 PM

I hate politics. I try not to get involved. I think it is because I hate arguments and nothing can start up a good argument like politics.

With that said, this is very important to me. In California there will be a Proposition on this upcoming ballot to put an amendment into the CA constitution that says "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

I had a hard time with this proposition because I have a gay uncle and gay friends and I felt kind of bad. What is important to note is that civil unions can give same-sex couples some of the same benefits as a marriage. Marriage just needs to stay between a man and a woman. I was given an excellent article from the LA times. Here is the crux of it for me...

"All our scholarly instruments seem to agree: For healthy development, what a child needs more than anything else is the mother and father who together made the child, who love the child and love each other.

For these reasons, children have the right, insofar as society can make it possible, to know and to be cared for by the two parents who brought them into this world. The foundational human rights document in the world today regarding children, the 1989 U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child, specifically guarantees children this right. The last time I checked, liberals like me were supposed to be in favor of internationally recognized human rights, particularly concerning children, who are typically society's most voiceless and vulnerable group."


Children are 'society's most voiceless and vulnerable group' - we need to protect them. They deserve to be raised by the father and mother that made them. Please help protect traditional families - if you live in California vote YES ON PROP 8.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Katie this is an EXTREMELY important issue. I'm glad you brought it up on your blog. I hope you voice your opinion loud and clear. I hear about this a lot from my parents in California. With President Monson clearly telling all California LDS members to vote YES on Proposition 8 I don't see how anyone can disagree???? That's the Prophet of the Church. How can a California LDS member go in for a temple interview and say they follow the Prophet if they aren't willing to stand up for this Prop 8 110%? Here are some things my mom was telling me about Prop 8 that could happen if it's not passed.
    "People don't understand the sneaky things that are creeping in such as Harvey Milk day in our schools (Gay Day) being taught in our schools, homosexual marriage and relationships being part of the curriculum for sex education, the fact that you can't be a bride or a groom on a California Marriage Certificate or it's null and void (Instead it will read Partner A and Partner B), and the list goes on and on. Churches can be sued if they preach against homosexual activity from the pulpit and they can lose their tax exempt status. Universities will be required to provide gay "married" housing."

    We still love our family and friends with different views but I I have a testimony that marriage is ordained of God and it's our responsibility to stand up for what is true and virtuous as best we can!

    Sorry for the essay but this is important stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katie! Being in San Francisco at a time like this is crazy, I feel like we are being fed to the sharks. I can't believe how any one that has children can be on the other side. Like you, in the beginning I thought, well we have an uncle and friends, but once things about public schools came up and freedom of religion I can't not voice my opinion. I am trying to realize that people have their own opinions, but I think about my child, and my friends children and I want everyone else to want to protect them also. I might have to borrow your last quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a friend's blog with some excellent videos regarding protecting marriage. The second video illustrates what 5 year old kids are learning in Public Schools in Massachusetts where they do teach same-sex marriage.

    http://triciaandersen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a proposition coming up in Arizona as well.

    Hope all is well for you and Peja! Is he walking yet? Henry is standing, but I think he just enjoys the crawl, you know? And I'm fine with that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!