My Two Cents

12:43 PM

I heard a story where a guy worked all of his life and made a lot of money so that he could retire at 65 and go to Mexico to live on the beach and fish every day. So he was living this great retirement life and there was a guy in his 30’s who would also fish every day around the same place. The retired man asked the younger one why he didn’t go work and make a nice retirement for himself. The younger man said, “why would I want to do that? You worked all your life just so you could come and do what I get to do everyday.”



I have been super busy these last couple of weeks and I had a moment of questioning about whether or not this is what I really want. Do I want to be wealthy if it takes a lot of work? Or just live a simple life and enjoy every day on the beach? I’ve always said that I would be perfectly happy with a little shack on the beach – and I would be. What I figured out is that that isn’t what God has planned for me. That quiet, simple life wouldn’t create the growth that I need to become the best me. That is really what life is about, is becoming the best person we can be and learning how to ultimately rely completely on God to make up for the rest.



There is no growth in comfort. It is only when we stretch ourselves that we grow – for two reasons. The first is that we push ourselves as hard as we can and that creates a new level of strength (just like in weight training where the overload principle is essential to make strength gains). The second is that we realize when we work towards huge goals that even if we stretch as far as we can and make huge strength gains, those big goals will be out of reach for us to do alone. It is at that point that we learn to rely completely on the Master to make up for the rest. Because with his strength we can do ANYTHING!



I have learned more in this last few months of stretching myself then I have in years and I know that this is just the beginning. I am so excited for what God has in store for me! I am so excited to be a co-creator with God of an amazing life! I plan on stretching like this all of my earthly life and that is so exciting. I’ve realized how much excitement there is in progression! Stagnation is the worst. I hope that all made sense. I don’t have too much time to be editing…I just wanted to share this thought.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!